When thinking about machine learning, stop to ask who is doing the machine teaching.
Many people think of Google as just a public library or some type of public, trusted, vetted platform....that is somehow credible and fair and that it doesn't have any biases, but, in fact, we know that it is really an advertising platform.
Algorithms have no agency. They are heuristics deployed by people to automate tasks. By their nature, algorithms fail to replicate crucial nuances of human judgment.
In the News
Understanding equity at the nexus of business and technology
April 20, 2018 at 08:49PM Beck Diefenbach/Reuters
- Flickr, which was owned by Verizon, has been acquired by photo sharing and image hosting site SmugMug.
- SmugMug does not have any plans to lay off any employees nor fold Flickr Read more
April 20, 2018 at 08:43PM The Chinese military is bringing its drone and aircraft carrier programs together, pulling unmanned aerial systems onto carriers as robotic wingmen for pilots. Shi Wen, the chief engineer of China Aerospace Science and Technology Read more
NEW YORK — The crisis-management playbook is pretty simple: Get ahead of the story, update authorities and the public regularly, assume responsibility and take decisive action. Crisis-management experts say Facebook is 0-for-4. Read more
Facebook’s drones unit is conducting a mysterious test in the desert near New Mexico’s ‘spaceport’ (FB)
April 20, 2018 at 12:55PM
- Facebook’s drones unit is conducting tests of experimental wireless equipment in New Mexico.
- The tests were revealed in FCC filings seen by Business Insider.
- FCL Tech, which develops internet-enabled drones for the developing Read more
April 19, 2018 at 12:51PM More meaningful interactions! More love for local news! These were supposed to be some of the positive changes associated with the algorithm change Facebook announced early this year. But so far the local news Read more
April 19, 2018 at 10:49AM Ransomware is one of the more worrying types of malware to emerge in recent years. It works by restricting access to computer files until a ransom is paid. Victims have included the British National Health Read more
April 19, 2018 at 10:38AM (Reuters) – The first reaction of Southwest Airlines passenger Marty Martinez when an engine exploded on the plane on Tuesday was to live stream what he feared might be his last minutes of life. Read more
April 19, 2018 at 10:17AM Courtesy of the AIA The American Institute of Architects (AIA) and the American Library Association (ALA) have announced their picks for the best new libraries and library renovations of 2018. In addition to their stunning Read more
The unlikely story of a 25-year-old Detroit native who just landed a big deal to bring competitive gaming to high schools across America
April 19, 2018 at 10:07AM PlayVS
- Delane Parnell, a 25-year-old Detroit native, is bringing a competitive video gaming (or eSports) league to high schools across America.
- His startup PlayVS is teaming up with the country’s leading governing body Read more
April 19, 2018 at 10:06AM Jeff Chiu/AP
- You can now make customized Alexa skills for your Echo device.
- The new feature lets you program your Echo to say personalized burns or compliments, trivia, quizzes, or leave instructions for Read more
From pure science to participatory knowledge production? Researchers’ perceptions on science–policy interface in bioenergy policy
April 19, 2018 at 09:57AM (Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health) A smartphone app designed to promote proper child car seat use among parents proved effective in a study led by researchers at Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School Read more
Events on the horizon
Activity in the Stratelligence Network around the globe